State Council of Education Research and Training
- College of School Education was established in Solan in 1954.
- Converted into State Institute of Education (SIE) in 1970.
- SIE was entrusted the task of preparing programmes and policies from Primary Level to Senior Secondary Level by the State Government.
- SIE was restructured as SCERT on the pattern of NCERT in 1984.
- SCERT was converted into society in 1997 with a provision of grants-in-aid by the Government.
- The grants-in-aid was not released well in time hence the staff remained without salary for months together.
- In view of the above difficulties State Government reviewed the situation and agreed to meet the salary and other requirements like office expenses, travelling expenses from the budget of Higher Education.
- Budgetary allocation by the Government is hardly enough to qualify for functional autonomy hence its status and role has been reduced to any other Educational Institution.
- To improve the quality of education in the State by imparting in-service training to teachers , teacher-educators, administrators and other educational personnel.
- To provide academic leadership within the State and act as the hub of academic research, innovation and motivation by organizing workshops and seminars on various issues.
- To be a symbol of quality and to provide valuable insights by conducting studies on issues related to quality education in the State.
Desired Roles and Functions
- To act as an apex body on school education in pursuance of the recommendations of National Policy on Education-1986 (NPE-1986).
- To be an umbrella body over all DIETs in the State to implement and monitor all the National Educational Programmes.
- To undertake training programmes, evaluation and research work in the field of School Education.
- To organize in-service programmes for teachers, teacher-educators, administrators and ministerial staff.
- To review and develop curriculum, text-books and training material for in-service training programmes.
- To conduct extension activities in Special Education, Population Education, Adolescent Education, Environment Education etc.
- To develop teaching aids, audio-visual aids, script materials and themes for radio programmes on Population and Adolescent Educaion.
- To Implement programmes of Pre-school Education, Inclusive Education, Women Education, Work Experience and Vocational Education.
- To conduct Educational Surveys from time to time, last being 7th All India School Education Survey.
- To conduct National talent Search Examination (NTSE) every year.
- To offer academic guidance to DIETs and other Educational Institutions.
- To organize Science Popularisation Activities such as seminars, science exhibitions and science fairs for school children.
- To Undertake projects entrusted by Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT), Regional Institute of Education (RIE) and Ministry of Environment and Forestry (MoEF).
Existing Organisational Structure
- Council is headed by a College Cadre Principal.
- Existing faculty comprises 8 lecturers of College cadre, 6 lecturers of School cadre and 2 TGTs (Arts and Science).
- 29 posts of Lecturers (College Cadre) were created in August 2007, out of which four in the subjects of Economics, Sanskrit, Physical Education and Music(Instrumental) had joined before the withdrawal of notification on 20th March 2008.